Friday, January 16, 2015

Featured Friday: Lizzy Hill!!

I told you all I had some real talent lined up for January's Featured Fridays and the charming lady who is taking this week's slot definitely lives up to that promise. Her work defines boldness and is filled with color, texture and unique style lines. 


So please welcome the amazing 



Lizzy owns the blog Lizzy Hill . She comes from the land down under and lives in sunshiney Australia. (At least I think it's sunshiney... I've never been there, but it has to be warmer than North Dakota, right?!)

Lizzy aces scrapbook layouts and her journaling always serves up a big smile and shot of warmth. She also designs amazing cards.  What really inspires me about her work is her talent for grunginess and layering - just look at these designs: 


 Beyond all that, her humor is incomparable and she frequently makes me SOL (snort out loud). Don't believe me? Just read these things Lizzy had to say about herself and her work:


1. How did you get your crafty start?

My mother! She had started scrapping & when we came home from our 1st big European Odyssey - she convinced me it was the way to go. Thank goodness for Mums!!!!


2. What is your favorite "style" of crafting?

Slap It On. What? That's not a style? Or the other I REALLY like is "It's on The Desk so Use It!!!" LOL;) Seriously, my fave style is CAS. I'm not saying I can DO it - but I ADORE it:)


3. If you could be any color, which would it be and why?

I would be blue. It's such a calming colour. It's the sea & the sky. It calls me to eternity. Well, actually, to be perfectly honest? When I wear it peeps say I look good. But the 'call to eternity' is a neat touch, right??!!!

4. How do you handle mistakes in your crafting designs?

Gesso. He & I are best mates. REALLY bad mistakes? Black gesso. Yes, it does exist. Add to your must have list! Or simply Add More Stuff. That works a treat too.


5. What are your favorite card making/scrapbooking challenges to participate in?

Oh, my! You're talking to the Challenge Queen here. I do both, too. Cards are my Quick Fix. There's an exhaustive list on the side bar of my blog. I'm gonna mention the DT ones I'm on, of COURSE! So, LESSology (for altered stuff)
ARTastic (for great inspiration
 Off The Rails (fab mood boards)
 Dusty Attic (inspiration plus!) 
then Scrapki Wyzwaniowo (fun ideas).
Stuck?! Sketches (GREAT sketches)....card faves include Cardabilities (yummy sketches), Feeling Sketchy (ditto), Mixed Media Card challenge ( for dirty fingers) & Rubber Dance Art Stamps (love their colour palettes!)

6. What is your least favorite crafting supply?

Glitter. Unless it's drowned in glue so it doesn't float idly around my room settling everywhere it shouldn't. Ribbon. Am useless at using it. Even tho I try!


7.  What is your best advice for new crafty bloggers?

It's FUN! The more you give, as in comments & joining in with challenges, hops etc - well, the more you get! As with life in general:) It's addictive, too. But in a good way. If I had my time again I'd be more planned in when I post & I'm always trying to write shorter posts... But, hey! Our blogs are a reflection of US! And I chat a lot. Oh well:/ So, my best advice? Be you - your blog should reflect this & have FUN with it. If it becomes a chore - simply stop for awhiles :)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beyond her talent, Lizzy has taught me some great Australian phrases that I have attempted to incorporate into my vocabulary.  Who knows? Maybe one day color will become colour and I can feel all sophisticated, and stuff. 

For my CASE (Copy and Steal Everything) this week, Lizzy sent over one of her favorite layouts, and it actually was published! I'm delighted to be able to share it here!

The Original




And a zoom in on some of the incredible elements:


Lizzy's layout was actually, in her words, "A vague-ish" New Year's resolution for 2014" meant to be about enjoying life and living in the present. A sentiment that echoes somewhere deep in the pit of my stomach.

I thought  this was such a perfect CASE to do in January!! But before I jump ahead to that, Lizzy did her own CASE for 2015 that included her sentiments to bring in the New Year. 

Lizzy's CASE:




See what I mean about the layering, style lines, and bright bold colors? Ugh! I can't get enough of it! One thing I love about art is that I don't always get inspired by other cards - some of my favorite design inspirations come from scrapbook layouts and art journal pages. 

When I sat down to CASE Lizzy's work, it just poured straight out of me. There was no hemming and hawing and second guessing. So THANK YOU, Lizzy, for being the magnificent, genuine person you are.

My CASE: 


 I flipped Lizzy's design and mimicked the splattery background with Distress Paints. I added that sweet pocket, which I made from an old paper bag and some gesso. And then I Lizzified it and layered, and layered some more.... and just for good measure I layered a little bit more. I didn't want to include a photo of me on the card, so I did the next best thing and used my own stamping dressup model - CityGirl from the Bee's Knees STAMPlorations line. I paper pieced her trench with my favorite pattern - the chevron. 


 For my "resolution" bit, I stamped a sentiment that is part of my favorite quote from Thoreau, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." I LOVE this phrase because my one word this year is "Engage". 

Nooooo I don't mean "get engaged"... much to my mother's chagrin and constant pestering. I mean truly engage.

I moved to North Dakota two-and-a-half years ago to escape an unhealthy relationship (which I've blogged about in the past). The first year-and-a-half was spent doing a little triage on my life. This year I've really been looking for ways to engage and give back to my community. I also want to truly be present in the moments I do spend with people and really appreciate the little things and blessings I've been given. 

I'm going to send my card on over to Shopping Our Stash, which has a "Hide and Seek" theme going on this week and Addicted to Stamps and More, which has a "Make your Mark" challenge (for my gesso polka dots and Distress Paint splatters).

Just a little bit of housekeeping before signing off - As many of you who follow my blog (hey thanks - you're awesome!!) know, I've made 3 design teams in the last month. To help with my time management skills, I'm going to switch my Featured Friday to a once-a-month happening, for sure, and more if time allows.

Thank you, Lizzy, for helping me to express my resolution through art! For my readers, won't you head on over to Lizzy's blog and leave her a little extra love today? 
 


49 comments:

  1. Fun Friday Feature! I wish I could be so creative! You both did a wonderful job on the CASEing of the original scrap page! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your CASE of the scrapbook page and how you've translated it to a card. Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    PS: Thanks to you I've added Feeling Sketchy to my collection of challenges I might do. I LOVE a good sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous Friday Feature Becca!! Love your CASE creations here and the layouts are adorable! :) Have a great weekend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. really enjoy meeting all your crafting friends every week from far and near - love the blue and yellow sympathy card

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interview with Lizzy...she sounds like a kick. She uses color (or colour) in amazing ways. Thought you "take" on her layout was spot on...the spirit is definitely there and the artwork is stellar. Thoreau really knew how to put it in words, didn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent feature on Lizzy! And your splatters look GREAT to me!!
    I really like the way you layer papers and shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful introduction Becca! Loved your case. Those bold colors are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great feature Becca!! Certainly agree with Lizzy about Gesso for mistakes... it's the only way!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, so fun!!! You and Lizzy both just are amazing!! So inspired by the both of you!! Love Lizzy's layouts and your card CASE of her was incredibly done!! I am definitely headed over to see LIzzy in her element!! Thanks for all you do and the very many ways you do GIVE BACK to the blogging community!! As always - so very impressed with you and your awesome face and demeanor!!! Have a day that is filled with beautiful things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous feature!! All of Lizzy's projects are amazing and beautiful!! And I love your case!! Have a great weekend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becca, this is such a fun feature you have on your blog. I enjoyed getting to know Lizzy - she is definitely a hoot. And, your take on her layout is fabulous. (love that city girl!) I think you are wise to start cutting back where you can, because you stand the chance of burning out really fast if you take on too much too soon. What is loads of fun right now may become a BIG chore sooner than you think. (just my two cents worth!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is such a fun post, LOVE seeing all her amazing work and great case!!! love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another fun feature Becca, lovely to meet Lizzy for the first time. Love how you've CASEd Lizzy's layout as a card. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview and what a great thing to showcase someone's work and be inspired by it. Great card and love the sentiment as it is so true. Enjoy the warmth that will be in July but we can both dream

    ReplyDelete
  15. You certainly made your mark when you CASE'd Lizzy's layout, fab job.
    Congrats on all your DTs, and such a fun post.
    Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh! I ADORE how you 'cased' my page...you are UBER clever.....I think I need myself one of those girl stamps now, too!!! Thanks so much for the FF & it was such FUN!!! And I think you are WW [way wise - just made that up, but it works!!] to shift gears with the extra DT commitments.....VERY WW:) And a BIG THANK YOU for having me here. Hope that sunshine comes sooner than later. I'll share. We're sweltering in it atm:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another great interview Becca! Love your CASE, super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really great CASE of Lizzy's layout and I love your card! Fab coloring and the chevron pattern on her coat is very cool!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed the feature! Your card is fabulous, all the elements are there. Love the paper piecing on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love your card, Becca! CityGirl looks very happy with all those layers :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great choice, and what a terrific version of Lizzy's layout!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super awesome card using City Girl! I just love what you created~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a follower of Lizzy and you. Your artwork is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved to meet Lizzy, Becca!!!! ...and I love your CAS(E) card!!!! Very creatively done - love all the great detail you've got on there!!!! City Girl looks so cool with her chevron trench!!!
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your idea of taking inspiration from scrap pages and turning them into cards, I think you did an awesome CASE of a fab scrap by lizzy, would stop to chat for longer but am off for a browse around Lizzys place :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Visiting Lizzy's blog is always a pleasure..she makes me smile, she makes me gasp with her cleverness. This was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lizzy is AMAZING!!! I just love love love her and her style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey girl, it's me back again to say thanks for sharing your creation with us at Addicted to Stamps & More! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*-DT member

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another Friday WOW, Becca! Thank you for this awesome feature.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lizzy is one amazing lady and her layouts always give me something new to look at, love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. what talent, WOW....i adore Lizzy's creations!

    add a little glimmer to your life...sparkle & shine! *~*

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lizzy , is awesome her art is amazing she makes me laugh ,that is what this art is all about ,loving what you do and for us artists we never make mistakes ,we just cover them up LOL GREAT POST LOVE YOU LIZZY XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lizzy's blog is my favourite, she is a breathe of fresh air and like you said a genuine , lovely gal
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  34. So glad you featured Lizzy! She is a favourite treasured friend of mine and so many others and her creating is always wonderful and inspirational! Well done on the feature Lizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. great to know Lizzy i never know her before
    and great CASE ing card you made with that lovely lady stamp from Stamplorations..love all on your card..now I think I am finished catching up your lovely blog..
    hope we still being friends my dear with all your DT member it must be more less time to visiting all friends blogs I knew it hehe
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  36. I do so love your blog as a means to meet new crafters! Lizzy's work is extraordinary! As is your CASE of her work! Thanks for playing along with the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Hide and Seek" challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This.is.fabulous. Lizzy is too funny! And I love the word ENGAGE for the year - such a fabulous meaning and what a terrific resolution :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. awesome feature and ♥FAB♥U♥LOUS♥ card/CASE of lizzy's LO. of course my favorite part is the hidden tag that pulls out, such a great take on our SOS theme this week!!! ps: CONGRATS times 3 on your new DT duties... tho probably... i should congratulate the 3 teams on their excellent taste!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sorry I'm late visiting ...great post...Lizzy's work is wonderful and love your CASE of her work, hugs Carole Z X

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love Lizzy's quirky answers...and her Case of herself. You are not that far behind in your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Fabulous feature and I love your creation. The splatters and layering look great. Thanks for joining in at ATSM this week, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a fabulous feature and wow! Just look at that CASE! Incredible! Love that sentiment in the hidden element, and you word for the year, ENGAGE, is perfect on so many levels! Thanks for joining in the fun at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  43. WOW, Becca!! You have brought some sunshiney goodness from down under with introducing us to Lizzy!! She's FAB and this is such a fun Featured Friday post!! Both of your CASE'd creations are wonderful--there's so much to look at and touch!! Very fun indeed!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  44. I just had to come back and say a BIG thanks for the visit to my blog and your absolutely kind and stunning words! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. OK, congrats on the three DT's. Wow you will be a busy Becca. Love the feature on Lizzy. Very timely for me this month cos she's the person I am sending my CCC card to LOL. I love your CASE. Very well done. I am not a LO person and would have struggled with this. Your take is great and I can see what you mean about inspiration. Maybe I shall look with new eyes. Well, same eyes, different look LOL. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  46. WOW!! this is so FUN. I love your take on Lizzy's work. I also like your stamped resolution tucked underneath the image. Genius. Congratulations on your DT teams as well. You so deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a very cool interview!!! LOVE your card too!! Thanks for playing at ATSM!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Another great feature interview, Becca! I love Lizzy, too! Can you imagine the three of us in a room together?!! What fun that would be! Your CASE is spot on and oh, so impressive! Congratulations on the well-deserved shout-out from SOS!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete